We travel a lot every day, to and from work, school and shopping. There are several ways to do that: on foot, by bike, by car, by bus or by tram. How you behave during travelling is very important. There is of course the highway code with regulations applying to pedestrians as well as cyclists and drivers, but there is also a set of so-called unwritten rules, which form a kind of unofficial code of conduct. Let’s see what is appropriate behaviour on vehicles, buses and trams!
While waiting at the stop:
- do not make a lot of noise, do try to talk to your friends quietly so as not to disturb anyone else;
- do not throw away rubbish, keep your environment tidy;
- prepare your ticket or the change needed to buy your ticket on board so as to save time after getting on (this also makes the driver’s work much easier).
When getting on:
- give way to elderly and sick passengers as well as expecting women and those with young children;
- do not push in the queue;
- show your ticket or pass to the driver;
- move towards the inside of the vehicle so that other can get on as well.
- keep your bag in your hand so as not to disturb others;
- do not throw away rubbish inside the vehicle, keep buses and trams tidy;
- sit on your seat so that you don’t disturb others;
- do not make a lot of noise or disturb others;
- yield your seat to elderly and sick passengers as well as expecting women and those with young children;
- should you accidentally push someone or tread on their foot, do apologise;
- if you want to get off, signal in time;
- do not disturb the driver since they are responsible for all the passengers’ safety;
- show respect to your fellow passengers, the driver and the ticket inspectors;
- if you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth with your hand or a handkerchief;
- always be polite and calm.
When getting off:
- do not push others;
- help elderly and sick passengers as well as expecting women and those with young children.
It may be difficult sometimes to act in line with the above expectations, but if you think about how good it feels when others treat you respectfully and politely, it will be much easier all of a sudden! Consider it! If you abide by these rules when travelling, it will be a whole lot more pleasant experience for both you and your fellow passengers!